Micro Swiss Direct Drive Extruder for Creality Ender 5 with All Metal Hotend
Upgrade the capabilities of your Creality Ender 5 3D printer with this simple drop in direct-drive extruder and all metal Hotend, and make printing high-temperature and flexible materials a breeze!
The Ender 5 series printers come from the factory with a "Bowden-style" extruder that mounts the motor on the frame and pushes the filament through a PTFE (teflon) tube. Many users prefer to upgrade to a "direct-drive" extruder that mounts the motor directly over the hotend. This arrangement often results in greater extrusion accuracy, reduced retraction settings, and the shorter filament travel distance works much better for printing very flexible filaments like TPU.
The factory hotend design on the Ender 5 printers also has the PTFE tube located down in the melt zone of the hotend where it butts up right against the nozzle. This limits the maximum temperature the nozzle can be used at, as PTFE will deform/shrink and break down around 250-260°C releasing hazardous fumes. Upgrading to an "all metal" hotend that does not use PTFE in the melt zone gives users the option to print materials requiring much higher nozzle temperatures like most nylon, polycarbonate, and engineering grade filaments safely and without the jams caused by deformed PTFE liners.
This Micro Swiss Direct Drive Extruder is a simple drop-in system for Ender 5 Printers and includes a Micro Swiss all-metal hotend.
- Dual-gear drive train. The extruder grips the filament from 2 sides for an improved grip, with less chance of the filament slipping under pressure or deforming the filament
- Hardened, tool steel, CNC precision cut drive gears
- Adjustable filament grip
- Easy filament loading
- Short, highly constrained filament path for printing flexible materials with higher speed and accuracy
- Outstanding extrusion control and increased extruder accuracy.
- Lightweight aluminum body CNC machined and assembled in USA
- Accepts the factory thermistor and heater cartridges
- Thermal heat break made from Grade 5 Titanium Alloy to provide excellent thermal isolation between the heater and the cooling block. Titanium is an extremely strong material and offers almost 3x lower thermal conductivity than stainless steel, creating a more defined melt zone.
- Includes silicone heater block cover to help insulate and protect the heat block from drafts and filament build up.
- Includes 0.4mm brass nozzle coated with TwinClad® XT wear resistant plating and non-stick composite additive. (Additional nozzle materials and sizes available separately)
- CNC machined and assembled in USA
- Ender 5
- Ender 5 Pro
- Ender 5 Plus
(Important Note: Creality has started shipping some of their 3D printers with different extruder stepper motors. These motors feature a shorter shaft with a pressed on gear. This pressed on gear can be difficult to remove without damaging the motor. In addition, these motors have a circular motor shaft instead of a "D" shaped shaft. This can cause the set screw used to secure the Micro Swiss drive gear to stick out too far limiting its motion. Before ordering this kit, please check your extruder stepper motor. If your extruder motor gear is pressed on and your motor features a completely round shaft, you may need to purchase a new stepper motor to be able to complete the installation.
- 1 x Micro Swiss All Metal Hotend
- 1 x Main Extruder body
- 1 x Extruder Lever
- 1 x Spring Pin
- 1 x Spring
- 2 x Gears
- 1 x Knob
- 1 x Shoulder Pin
- 2 x M5 20mm Nylon Patch Bolts
- 1 x M5 30 Bolts
- 1 x M5 Nylon Lock Nut
- 1 x M5 Washer
- 1 x Extension Cable
- 3 x M3 Motor Mounting Screws
- 2 x M3 Bolts
- 2 x M3 Nuts
- 5 x Zip Ties
- 1 x Printed Bracket
- 1 x Beveled Capricorn guide tube
- Stepper motor and V-wheels are NOT included
- MK8 Plated wear resistant nozzle (same nozzle included with Micro Swiss All Metal Hotends)
- MK8 Plated A2 Tool STEEL wear resistant nozzle (an even more wear resistant steel nozzle)
- M2 Hardened High Speed STEEL Nozzle - MK8 (The most wear resistant steel nozzle Micro Swiss makes)
- Additional sizes/materials are also available through https://store.micro-swiss.com/